How to Forward Calls on Android and iPhone
Looking to enable call forwarding on your smartphone? With these simple steps, find out how to forward your calls on Android and iOS.
Call forwarding is a convenient method to redirect calls to an alternate number, and it can be easily set up on Android and iPhone devices. This feature can come in handy when you want to avoid taking work calls during your vacation or when your primary phone is experiencing technical issues. Additionally, call forwarding allows you to receive calls on a different phone number if necessary.
You only need to follow a few simple steps to activate the feature. Likewise, troubleshooting call-forwarding problems is relatively easy. Therefore, do not be afraid if you are unsure how to use call forwarding on an iPhone or Android device. We will guide you through the process.
How to Use Call Forwarding on iOS
Enabling call forwarding on an iPhone is a straightforward process. All you need to do is navigate to the Settings menu and follow the steps outlined below:
- Open The Settings.
- Please click the “Phone” option by tapping on it.
- Select “Call Forwarding”.
- Select Call Forwarding > Forward To.
- Please input the number to which you would like to redirect your calls.
Your entered phone number will now receive forwarded calls on your iPhone. Additionally, if you’re redirecting calls to a landline, please include the area code while entering the number.
To choose a suitable number for call forwarding, consider the purpose for which you wish to use it. If you aim to avoid interruptions, you can forward calls to a phone number in a different location. For instance, if you’re currently at home, you could forward calls to your work phone; if you’re away on vacation, you could forward calls to your home phone instead.
To turn off call forwarding on your iPhone, revisit the same menu and toggle the Call Forwarding switch again. This action will shift the switch to its original white “off” position, and your calls will no longer be forwarded.
How to Use Call Forwarding on Android
Setting up call forwarding on Android is a fairly simple process. Firstly, you can begin by launching the Phone app and then proceed with the following steps:
1: Locate the vertical three dots icon, commonly called the “More” button, and tap on it.
2: Open the Settings app on your Android phone and press More settings or Call settings, depending on your phone and version of Android.
3: Select Call forwarding.
4: Please choose one of the four available options.
- a. All calls are directed to the specified number with Always Forward.
- b. To redirect calls exclusively while you are already on a call, choose “Forward when busy”.
- c. When unanswered, forwarding occurs only if you fail to respond to a call.
- d. Finally, the Forward function activates only when your phone is not receiving signals, is on airplane mode, or is powered off to relay incoming calls.
5: Please input the number to which you wish to forward your calls. Remember to include the area code if you are forwarding to a landline.
6: Tap Turn on to confirm.
The process to deactivate call forwarding on Android is almost identical. You’ll need to tap on each activated option and select Disable.
Another Way to Forward Calls on Android and iPhone
There is another method to forward calls on both Android and iPhone devices, which entails utilizing your mobile carrier’s call-forwarding service. If you are in the U.S., kindly follow the directions below.
If you use a carrier that uses GSM technology such as T-Mobile or AT&T:
1: Open the Phone app.
2: Enter *21 on your phone’s dial pad, but don’t press the call button yet.
3: Kindly input the phone number you desire to divert your incoming calls.
4: Press # and then the call button.
If you’re using a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon, follow the abovementioned steps but dial *72 in step 2 instead.
Irrespective of your carrier, you should receive a confirmation message or sound upon completing the steps above. Additionally, it is important to note that there is an alternative code you can dial to activate call forwarding for specific types of calls instead of all incoming calls.
To illustrate, if you’re using Verizon, you can initiate call forwarding for unanswered calls by dialing *71, while with Sprint, you’ll need to dial *73.
If you are located outside the U.S., you can still use a similar service with little difficulty. Most mobile operators in Europe and other parts of the world offer call forwarding, although they may require different dialing commands than those outlined above.
It is advisable to check with your mobile carrier before forwarding through it.
What to Do When Call Forwarding Isn’t Working
Call forwarding on iPhone and Android is typically a straightforward process, but occasionally, issues may arise. Typically, the primary problem encountered is when calls do not successfully forward and continue to come through on your original phone.
Luckily, there exist several solutions that you can attempt to address such problems.
- It is crucial to input the correct number, as incorrect numbers are just as worthless as having no number at all. Therefore, it is recommended that you not only double-check the number you have entered but also verify that it is currently active.
- To resolve issues with mobile data, one solution is to disable and re-enable the feature. Some mobile operators suggest deactivating cellular data and call forwarding and then reactivating both options. This can be achieved by accessing Settings > Cellular on iOS devices or Settings > Network & Internet> Mobile network on Android devices.
- Restart your device.
- Update your phone. If you’re an iPhone user, learn how to update iOS. On Android, head to “Settings > System updates”.
- Reset your phone’s network settings.
- To reset network settings on your iPhone, follow these steps: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, but this can only be done if you have an iPhone.
- To reset your “Android phone’s Wi-Fi”, mobile, and Bluetooth, go to Settings and select System > Advanced > Reset options. Whether you have an Android phone or not, following these steps will allow you to perform various resets, including the option to select the reset above.
If you cannot locate the call forwarding feature, your mobile carrier has not enabled it for your account. Consequently, you will need to get in touch with your carrier to have the feature activated.
Call Forwarding on Android and iPhone is Easy
With call forwarding being a simple and effective feature, you likely won’t have to attempt any of the above troubleshooting actions. Next time you wish to avoid unwanted calls, use this feature.